Welcome to My virtual kitchen.

What you are cooking today? Step into My kitchen, swap a recipe or two with Me and most importantly, have fun!

You can help The Gothic Gourmet cook another day. All donations are greatly appreciated and used for their implied/intended purpose. Cooking! :-)













Monday, July 12, 2010

Project Pasta coming along and some kudos for Chef Anne Burrell.


A word to the wise, never freeze pasta on paper plates without FIRST putting down plastic wrap on those plates. Learn from My mistakes and save yourself some time and energy.

I finished up most of My potato and cheese filled pasta/Perogies last night and placed them one by one on paper plates and covered them with plastic wrap for freezing so that I then in turn could put the Perogies into plastic Zip Lock freezer storage bags for easy use whenever I want a good homemade Perogie.

The Perogies stuck to the paper plates and I really had to work hard to remove them without tearing them. I did tear some and made some mends much like a doctor might make in an emergency room all though instead of sutures, I used water to repair the holes that I made in some of the Perogies while removing them.

Today I made more dough as I ran out last night without being able to make My meat and cheese filled Perogies. The dough is chilling now as I type this and I will fill several for dinner to boil along with My potato and cheese filled Perogies.

Fresh is best. I can't wait to pan fry them in butter until golden and crisp. My mouth is watering right now as I haven't eaten a thing today as of yet.

As it were, oh yes, Chef Anne Burrell. I love this lady! I am watching her show right now 'Secrets Of A Restaurant Chef'. Check her out on The Food Network. Today she is making pasta (one of her specialties) and a semifreddo. I really can't wait to try her fish and chips recipe. I wish that she were still on Comcast 'On Demand' but alas they made the huge mistake of taking her off the roster for some reason.

I did make her fresh chips (twice fried fries) and they came out beautifully. I froze some for future use (just add in the hot oil or bake them at 450 F. until heated through and crisp.

Potatoes are amazing and in the future I plan on writing an article about them. So cost friendly and always readily available, truly there isn't much you can't do with the wonderful amazing, stupendous potato. You can make dumplings with them, soup, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes, and one of My favorites (potato pancakes) along with of course lovely crispy french fries.

Why spend all that money on fast food when you can make a far superior french fry? Yes, I understand that not everyone has time and people have jobs and are quite busy raising their children and living their lives. However, when you have a few free moments take the time and effort (which isn't really much effort at all) to make some homemade fries. You can make it a family project and have the children help (leave the hot oil to the adults along with the peeling) but they can bag and tag the fries or at least put them on a baking pan and season them. What fun!

You can truly teach your children how to stretch a dollar and have fun while doing it as well.

Okay, I am off to go start rolling out some of that Perogie dough and filling it with the meat mixture. Just a few for now until My hubby gets home and can help Me fill more (after dinner of course). I am sure that once he taste these beauties that he won't mind filling up a few for future eating. I am trying to figure out what to serve along side of these. Of course We will have fresh baked rolls but what veggie to use? Or should I make a homemade stuffing? OHHHHHHHHHH wait! I have some fresh Romaine lettuce in the refrigerator and hmmm perhaps a tomato in the crisper. I have plenty of cheeses to choose from including Feta, Parmesean, aged Gouda and sharp cheddar to name just a few. I can make a balsami vinaigrette or perhaps a simple lemon vinaigrette and toss in a few croutons for crunch and some bacon bits. Yes, for summer salad sounds fine and I do need to use this lettuce.

I go to a close by market called 'Phils market/produce' which is a small joint with flowers and fresh picked produce. You can really find some deals at times when they have an over abundance of product. I got some bananas which I made banana bread and muffins with at 5 yes FIVE pounds for a dollar. That is .20 cents per pound.

I have only found a cheaper price once before at Trader Joe's on the North side for .19 cents a pound but, when you tie in the cost of gas for the trip there from here? You really didn't save that much on bananas BUT you do get a lot of variety as far as groceries are concerned and whats more is that there is Penzley's spices in the same parking lot. I love Penzley's spices store. I will have to (while I am thinking about it) write an article on their store as well.

I also need to do a write up on a small owned shoppe called Artisano's in Indiana which is a small shoppe run by a gentlemen who is serious about Vinegars and oils as well as salts (I collect salt so I worship this guy) and hard to come by spices.

I once saved up and spent a great deal of money on some prized items from this store which I found on a lark after watching an episode of 'Good Eats' hosted by Alton Brown on The Food Network channel. I was looking for 'Grains Of Paradise' and called Penzley's spices only to find out that they did not carry it but, that Artisano's did. I phoned the number they provided Me which by the way was uber cool of them to do since I was going somewhere else to spend My beans.

After a lengthy jaunt to the North side My husband and I found this small little store which was quite homey and quaint in a small corner on the left hand side. You could miss this place if you weren't looking for it. I go inside and oh My goodness, heaven! There were barrels upon barrels of interesting and flavorful Vinegars with a tap on them and small plastic cups for sampling. There were also fine and interesting oils along the left side which to name only a few included Lemon EVOO lime, garlic, etc.

On the wall were spices on either side of the shoppe and My favorite, SALTS in several unusual clever flavors.

I purchased the Grains Of Paradise along with (much to My husbands dismay) several EVOO's and Vinegars. However, these items have proved to be quite handy and tasty in our household and very versatile as I have used them for marinating, brining, and salad dressings so incredibly wonderful that you could do back flips (if you were so inclined).

I bought 'Black Cherry, Pear, Peach, Black Current, and aged vinegars to name only a few. The salts I simply had to have all though I could not afford every one of them I did get a good many of them in small sized bags (they are weighed) so you can get as little as you need or more if you want to stock up.

My favorite salt that I purchased was the habanero salt which packs quite a kick. Very flavorful and versatile. I have used it in sauces, soups and to season meats such as chicken along with another great item I purchased there which was the 'Jamaican Jerk Seasoning'. My chicken breast were so flavorful that I could smack someone down with a sack of nickles.

I seasoned My chicken breast first with salt and pepper (a must for any meat) all though this time I used habenero salt in place of kosher salt but not too much, just enough. I then rubbed in the jerk spice and a bit of Splenda (as My Father is diabetic and cannot have regular sugar) and roasted in the oven along with some fresh garlic and lemon juice until done and tender.

I like to then cut up the meat into strips and use them on salads or just cold right out of the fridge as a no carb snack packed with protein. Put some mayo, fresh chopped celery, walnuts, grapes, celery salt and pepper along with a wee tad of lemon juice (and a couple My secret ingredients) and you have a chicken salad that puts others to shame. Put that chicken salad in a hollowed out tomato on a bed of bib lettuce or onto a croissant with lettuce and green tomato and boy howdy your lips might smack your face silly because it's so very good.

You can of course use a light mayo or even plain yogurt or sour cream as a low fat alternative but what fun is that? I know, I know some people have to watch their weight but man, every now and then have yourself a treat and splurge on something really good that is also pretty healthy for you too. Filled with vitamins minerals and protein you can eat something without having to feel too very guilty about it.

Well, I am soon off to go roll out that Perogie dough that I have been talking about but have found Myself procrastinating over.

I need to figure out what salad dressing to use as well. I do have some fresh corn cut off the cob that I can serve along side the dish which won't make Me feel overly weighted down on such a hot day. Corn is good anytime of the year. Sweet and crisp it's every food lovers friend. (I'll do a blog on corn one day too if I ever get around to it).

Until then dear readers, keep things spicy. Keep things cooking, and keep living with a smile on your face and love in your heart.

As always,
The Gothic Gourmet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gothic Gourmet wants to hear from YOU. Please leave Me a message, a recipe, or a shiny piece of tin foil or something to keep Me occupied.