Welcome to My virtual kitchen.

What you are cooking today? Step into My kitchen, swap a recipe or two with Me and most importantly, have fun!

You can help The Gothic Gourmet cook another day. All donations are greatly appreciated and used for their implied/intended purpose. Cooking! :-)













Friday, July 9, 2010

My canning project continues.

Hello dear readers. (I can dream can't I?)

So far so good on the canning project. Yesterday I canned peaches and today I made some spicy hot green tomato salsa with lots of good good stuff inside.

I made a lovely pot roast in My pressure cooker and I do scratch My head and wonder...what did I ever do without this handy time saving piece of equipment?

After cooking the roast for a period of time, I let the pressure drop on its own accord and then added in potatoes, carrots, celery, herbs and more spices. The result was fantastic! I purchased the roast for a little over ten dollars and it was around 7 lbs. Not bad considering that I still have a bit left and We have been eating it for 3 days.

Tonight I made up a cheese mixture along with Greek herbs and some spices to put into roasted red pepper packages. I will put the mixture inside and then tie the pepper like a present with butchers twine and then grill them or place them in a baking dish with olive oil and then sprinkle with more herbs and roast until melted. I may then broil them for a minute or so under high heat to get the tops a bit crisp and blackened.

I shucked fresh corn and cut it off the cob and served that along with the other veggies with My pot roast. Very economical considering that the corn was a dollar for 5 nice big ears.

The hubby loves fresh corn and...Lima beans which I like as well, therefore, I will search for some Lima beans on sale to can for the winter.

The thing I love about canning is that you can buy fresh seasonal produce when it is at its lowest cost. In the fall and winter these produce items rise in price as they are no longer in season and the supply and demand increases their cost per pound.

I'm a money saving fool. :-)

My jams came out awesome and We have been enjoying them on sourdough rolls with a bit of butter along with PB&J sandwiches.

Well, I am off to make My peppers so I must close for now. I know, I know..pictures WILL be coming. I plan on getting one of each thing that I have canned and taking a photo of them all together along with some fresh baked sweet and yeast breads.

Until then, keep it cooking and keep living!

(Life's a bowl of cherries so live, and laugh at it all!) :-)
As always, The Gothic Gourmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gothic Gourmet wants to hear from YOU. Please leave Me a message, a recipe, or a shiny piece of tin foil or something to keep Me occupied.