Welcome to My virtual kitchen.

What you are cooking today? Step into My kitchen, swap a recipe or two with Me and most importantly, have fun!

You can help The Gothic Gourmet cook another day. All donations are greatly appreciated and used for their implied/intended purpose. Cooking! :-)













Thursday, December 17, 2009

So many things to do..but what do I make?




I woke up today feeling (not as bad) as normal and had many ideas buzzing through My head as of what to make for appetizers/dinner/desert tonight. I have finally narrowed it down to: Hot German Potato salad, Banana pudding (see picture) in tall glasses, grilled or roasted veggies for My Father (with perhaps some type of light sauce such as Balsamic Vinegar), cheese souffle, (which is marvelous and really a show stopper), baked cheese grits with garlic cheese biscuits, or Czar salad with homemade bread.

I am leaning towards making a couple of things (just in smaller portions than I normally make). I can make maybe three pounds of German Potato salad as it keeps well in the icebox and My husband and I eat oodles of it, not to mention the fact that I have a large bag of bacon that I prepared the other day that is nice and crispy and needs to be used. I can also use some of the bacon as a topping for My Czar salad and have a salad night. One hot salad, one chilled salad. I do however want to make this cheese souffle as I love it so much and it has been quite time since I have made it as it does involve a bit of work (OK a lot of work). The work isn't what bothers Me even though I am feeling less than great health wise today. I suppose its just that I don't need to make that right now as the cheese I have will keep for a great deal of time and there is no sense in opening more cheese, all though..hmmm I do have several imported cheeses that I have opened that can be used but this would be an experiment on taste. BUT, My experiments normally work out quite nicely and how can you go wrong with cheeses you already love? Just use the same amount of said different cheese/cheeses than that of the cheese the recipe calls for. Then there is that work again (OK maybe I am NOT feeling well enough to fool with whipping up and folding in egg whites to a tempered cheese and egg yolk mixture. IT IS SO PRETTY and impressive though!

I think that you, dear reader (whoever you may be) knows that more likely than not I am going to end up making this souffle.

Now, baked garlic cheese grits are wonderful but I certainly would have to scale down My normal recipe because I am not sure if My Father is allowed to eat any due to 'dieting' or if his wife's son like grits (even with gobs of cheese and a crispy Panko bread crumb topping). I am guessing that the word 'grits' is enough to make him pack his bags and sneak out of town in the middle of the night to avoid eating/trying them. I Myself, have always loved them.

I would call the hubby but he is on a long delivery today and is probably pretty focused on the job at hand than to listen to Me prattle on about what to make for dinner. He WILL eat any of the things I mentioned above but I know for sure that garlic cheese biscuits and banana pudding are a go. He really enjoys that potato salad too. He likes and will eat Czar salad but the other things I mentioned would top that..

I was going to make homemade French Onion soup today as I purchased some lovely large peeled sweet onions and need to use those up before they spoil but I think I will save that for the weekend so We can just snuggle up and eat hot soup while the temperature keeps dropping outside. We can watch movies and eat cheesy cheesy hot soup with crusty bread and a nice salad. Yes, I will start the soup on Friday morning (mine takes all day to cook) and come Friday night We can have a bowl of that along with something else and come Saturday it will be even better! Soup is always better the next day in My humble opinion.

Well, I suppose I better get moving if I want to get ANY of this done. Maybe I'll phone My Father and see what he would like (no need to chop up a ton of veggies for roasted, stir fried or grilled veggies if he doesn't want any of them.

I'll let you know what I ended up with.

Until then, keep cooking and keep living!
Evie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gothic Gourmet wants to hear from YOU. Please leave Me a message, a recipe, or a shiny piece of tin foil or something to keep Me occupied.