Welcome to My virtual kitchen.

What you are cooking today? Step into My kitchen, swap a recipe or two with Me and most importantly, have fun!

You can help The Gothic Gourmet cook another day. All donations are greatly appreciated and used for their implied/intended purpose. Cooking! :-)













Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Alton Brown are you out there?


For years I have been enamored with The Food Network show entitled: "Good Eats" with host Alton Brown. From My first viewing of the show I immediately was swept back to My years of higher learning and a smile crept up on My face as Science, Chemistry and all things nerdy were My favorite things to study. Brown is by definition, a 'Food Scientist' making the art of cooking FUN to learn. Browns show integrates, Science, corny quirky characters, video cams (even an oven cam), geeky experiments, food experts (including food Historians), and even tickles the viewers funny bone with a 'lady in the Fridge'.


Brown has even been known to have members of his own family pop in on his show including his late Grandmother who taught Me how to make the best biscuits ever. (Sorry Mr. Brown but I liked your Ma Mey's biscuits better as I tried both hers and your method.)

Brown dons on funny costumes, teaches Historical food facts and really makes cooking FUN again. For those who aren't serious foodies and may be likened to 'Bulls In A China Shop' when it comes to cooking in their own kitchens, Brown breaks things down to the most simplistic of terms leaving the viewer relieved and more than likely left with the sense that they really aren't that 'stupid' when it comes to kitchen savvy, just uneducated.For most,learning something new reminds one of being back in a bright school room with obnoxious florescent overhead lights buzzing above their heads. It is no wonder that many people simply do NOT want to revisit their high school or college years unless that is, a beer keg is involved.

Brown shatters the overhead bulbs and shines new light into the viewers classroom which just so happens to be their own kitchens. For every door that needs to be unlocked, there is a key to open that door with. Brown appears to have the key to every foodies door, just ask to see his key ring as I hear it is quite large indeed.

As it were dear readers it should be noted that each time I watch Browns show I feel as if I am back in school but only this time, on a FIELD TRIP with the coolest teacher on the planet. I have learned so much including, how to properly peel an egg. All this time I was struggling with peeling an egg and I like to view Myself as pretty gifted when it comes to all things culinary. Just goes to show you, that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Bow wow Alton Brown thanks for rocking My culinary world and keep the Good Eats coming.

Currently I am viewing Alton Browns box set entitled: "Kitchen Classics". I have viewed many of these episodes before but it's nice to get a refresher course and have Alton right next to Me in My kitchen even if it is via laptop. I think I see a Good Eats spinach salad in My near future...like tonight.

Hail Good Eats! Hail Alton Brown.

As always,
Evie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gothic Gourmet wants to hear from YOU. Please leave Me a message, a recipe, or a shiny piece of tin foil or something to keep Me occupied.