Welcome to My virtual kitchen.

What you are cooking today? Step into My kitchen, swap a recipe or two with Me and most importantly, have fun!

You can help The Gothic Gourmet cook another day. All donations are greatly appreciated and used for their implied/intended purpose. Cooking! :-)













Thursday, August 26, 2010

Homemade German mustard. Ask and ye shall recieve!

Somebody asked for this recipe (which I said I would provide if asked for) so here it is.

Now, I do hope you like heat dear readers, and I do hope that you are familiar with German mustard which is a horse of a different color as compared to American yellow mustard.

Also: disclosure: BE CAREFUL when making mustard. Ever hear of mustard gas? The same principle applies here. When using your microwave you must be careful or you could not only make a mess, but really mess yourself up.

Gothic German Mustard. What makes it Gothic? Me of course!

You will need:

around 4 TSP. Light or dark brown sugar. (I like dark but this is of course My preference).
1 half cup of dry mustard powder.
Around 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
1/2 cup Water.
1 cup of pickle juice (Sweet pickle juice). You may substitute with a mixture of vinegar, sugar, water, salt and pepper and you'll be fine but you won't however, have all the seasonings/flavor that come along with sweet pickle juice (either homemade or commercial).
1 TBS. Garlic powder.
1/4 cup of brown mustard seeds.
1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds. (You may use all yellow seeds if that is all you have but I like the look of the black seeds along with the yellow). I suppose this is a variation of French mustard as they use the black seeds as well.
1/2 TBS of good Paprika.
1 TBS. Turmeric.
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Additional equipment: Spice grinder (coffee grinder used specifically for spices) or a mortar and pestle. (Grinder is best, saves time and will keep you from pulling out your hair) however, use what you have. Don't go spending extra money if you don't have it for mustard, but, in the long run a coffee grinder set up especially for spices is a grand thing to have in any foodies kitchen.

More salt and some fresh cracked black pepper (which is added later to individual taste only if you like). I am a salt and pepper junkie.

Directions/Instructions/

First dear reader let Us find a bowl that can house all of our ingredients. Make sure that this bowl is microwave safe. We don't want any meltdowns going on here with this recipe do We? ;)

Mix your sugar, mustard powder, paprika and garlic powder (or your paste that you made) with a whisk and set to the side. You can also combine these ingredients in a plastic container with lid or a plastic baggie and shake shake shake if you like.

Meanwhile, in another bowl/container combine your pickle juice, cider vinegar and water and set aside. Next, grind your mustard seeds in your grinder for a minimum of 1 minute. Check your seeds and pulse if needed a couple of times. After you are finished grinding your mustard seeds, quickly add them to your dry ingredients (sugar, paprika etc. etc.) and then add your liquid mixture that you have waiting on the side. Whisk whisk whisk to combine.

Place your mixture (which should be in a microwave safe container already) into the microwave and nuke for oh, a minute to a minute and 1/2. (This is where you have to be careful) ie. mustard gas. Remove your mixture from the microwave and puree in a food processor (or use a stick blender which happens to be one of My favorite Christmas gifts) for around a minute. If you like a more grainy mustard, use your best judgment and process to your liking/texture.
Pour into a couple of decorative glass jars (or one large jar) and set aside until cool (uncovered).

There you have it! You can always tweak this recipe to your liking but this one has been used in this family for years and it is oh so lovely. Great, now I want pretzels and mustard. The Gothic Gourmet's stomach makes a long hollow sound...

Oh, as for storage? Store this mustard in your fridge for up to a month or more. I stir mine with a fork or spoon each time before use. If you want French mustard I can help you there too. (Well, with the dark mustard seeds We basically have a German/French variation of mustard sans the white wine).

Where is the pretzel recipe? All in good time. All in good time. I have to make sure someone read this first eh? Okay, how about tomorrow for time? I'll try. I could post it now but really need to get a bit of sleep. Besides, I think I want to make them Myself and should take pictures of the process? I know, another big IF. I will however post the recipe shortly.

Until We meet again via virtual ink? Keep laughing, loving, cooking, creating and above all else? Living!

As always,
The Gothic Gourmet.

Upcoming topics:
Authentic old world German Pretzels
Blueberry Pie with all butter pie crust
Beef Wellington with a bonus PLUS two plating sauces to choose from.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe.I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I hope you won't mind,I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made mustard but this one sounds really good (even with the scary mustard gas thingy.) Thanks for the recipe and the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problemo. I must admit up front however, that I am not very gifted when it comes to the 'virtual world ie. Matrix'. It took Me a great while to learn how to incorporate the 'foodie blog roll' into My page. Sigh. I'll click on the link and try to get it going. I thank everyone for their comments. I have been a bit under the weather as of late but when I am able, I do have the hubby bring Me My laptop and I log in and read. Thank you all for reading and the pretzel recipe is coming. I am going to try a few tweaks and see what happens. I know, I know...don't change a recipe that works...but if it weren't for testing, We would be without a plethora of wonderful and exciting recipes wouldn't We?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do let Me know how you enjoyed not only making it, but the taste as well. This is a wonderful mustard that can be used on a plethora of things. I am so hungry now thinking of Pretzels...German sausages (fried) and German potato salad which I have a wonderful family recipe to share with you all.

    I need to eat now. 79 pounds isn't enough to keep Myself from blowing away in a storm without grabbing onto a stop sign. The starch in a potato salad may be just what I need not to mention the carbs in the pretzels... Hmmm.

    Until We meet again, I bid you ghoul eats. ;)

    Sincerely,
    The Gothic Gourmet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I get a supply of dry mustard and mustard seeds I'll be making this. I have had at least 3 requests from friends & family for homemade mustard - I see christmas gifts in their future :) Who doesn't love homemade goodies for Christmas, muchless homemade mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, I am not signed in at the moment but this would indeed make an excellent X-Mas present for those who you appreciate and adore. This Mustard is the bestest in the Westest and the Eastest and the whatever! Sigh, I haven't been feeling too well today on this Memorial day Holiday, BUT the hubby has a big request for German Potato salad. (Quite involved) but I do love making it....I suppose I should shower and make My way up to the kitchen. Much to do. The best things in life I have found are A). NOT FREE and B). A pain in the wazoo!

    How can I deny him however? He spent his whole day at Saks Fifth Avenue getting Me a new pair of Chanel boots. Now wait... We had to break open a few piggy banks for those. Actually, took around a year to save for something that grand. Still, I have some boots coming My way, and I WILL make him whatever his handsome self desires. Sooooo German Potato salad it is. Beef broth, rendered sweet onions, a rue made with bacon drippings, bacon and German vinegar not to mention the baby red new potatoes par boiled and then peeled with a paper cloth. Salt, pepper, sugar and a wholeeeeeeee lot of loving honey. Good stuff I tell you.

    Speaking of good stuff, does anyone reading this trivial blog know who DEVO is? If so, I have some pictures for you....

    Whip it now! Whip it good! Whip it real good!

    As always,
    The Gothic Gourmet wishes you ghoul eats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I leave thee a precious shiny piece of tin foil in thy honor. Oh Gothic Gourmet please keep leading. PS: I loved the mustard.

    xoxoxxo
    Bronson of PA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Gothic Gourmet is so pleased that you enjoyed the mustard. I forgot to make mention that if you use black mustard seeds (or more black than yellow) you will get a MUCH spicier mustard. It may even clear out your nasal passages if you have a cold. :-)

    As it were, I have been quite ill lately and have also been out of town for quite some time. I made 16 pretzels these past few days and all of them are gone so I am heading to the kitchen to prepare some more.

    Guten appetite!

    As always, keep living, laughing, loving and cooking, :-)

    The Gothic Gourmet

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never go back to store bought condiments again. You can pretty much make them all and they are always so much better. And this mustard is no different it is great and really enjoyable flavor to whatever you put it on. My guests all love it when I put it on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds amazing!!!! can't wait to try this recipe..Seems like the only recipe that seemed easy enough and have all the ingredients=]

    ReplyDelete

The Gothic Gourmet wants to hear from YOU. Please leave Me a message, a recipe, or a shiny piece of tin foil or something to keep Me occupied.