Welcome to My virtual kitchen.

What you are cooking today? Step into My kitchen, swap a recipe or two with Me and most importantly, have fun!

You can help The Gothic Gourmet cook another day. All donations are greatly appreciated and used for their implied/intended purpose. Cooking! :-)













Sunday, August 29, 2010

Arrowroot Starch or are you really using Tapioca?




I have extensively searched this great black hole that We call the WWW. The same black hole that has led Us together (so it cannot be all bad eh?).

As it were, I have been using Arrowroot Starch ever since I saw a bit on it on the Television show entitled 'Good Eats' With host, Alton Brown.

This man has gotten Me into arguments and a good deal of trouble with My husband as after I watch his shows...there are times...when I MUST seek out the odd ingredients he has made mention of on any particular episode. (Don't get Me started on Grains Of Paradise). My husband may strangle Me! ;)

I read that most of the commercial Arrowroot that people buy these days is made of Tapioca? Be sure to do your homework when buying Arrowroot starch. I can provide (My list) of suppliers that I buy from here in My hometown if you like.

In a previous comment from a previous blog entry, someone had made mention that their Grandmother (if I am not mistaken) used Arrowroot starch in several of her applications but limited those to certain veggies as the other veggies became 'slimy'.

True. Arrowroot starch can cause slime. Ick eh? Napoleon himself even made mention of Arrowroot. It must be important if a little parasite like him spoke of it. Certainly so... could it be that the Arrowroot supported British colonies? More into this later.

I Myself use Arrowroot as a thickener (in place of cornstarch) for sauces/gravies/soups etc. You must however be careful in your application as heat can actually counteract the thickening and make your dishes a bit...runny. Heat thins Arrowroot at times.

Arrowroot starch (in it's purest form) is likened to fresh fallen snow. It is a white powder like substance (not unlike cornstarch). It is odorless (all though some say that there is a faint smell when Arrowroot is mixed with boiling water). I Myself don't seem to notice much but again, don't really mix the starch with boiling water often as mentioned above, it can counteract the intended purpose of the starch to begin with.

This starch is perfect for vegans and has a lower particle count than that of less than finer/less expensive of starches say (Potato etc.)

Interesting factoid: Arrowroot used to be used in paper making. A more economical efficient ingredient was later used thus making Arrowroot starch void of any importance other than that of cooking (and some say treating poison arrow wounds). I'll have to research that subject more when I have the time.

As far as being used as a thickening agent, My favorite application for this starch is used in My Chinese Hot and Sour soup. In the olden days this starch was used for dietary purposes until Scientist found no true proof of its value to those with dietary restrictions. Also, I use this in My Greek Lemon Rice soup because Arrowroot is wonderful when combined with 'acidic' foods. It help to thicken homemade tomato sauces as well. (Great in tomato and vegetable soup that has a lot of acidity to it ie. tomatoes and My secret weapon of all time...lemon juice).

In any event, the cons are that A). Dairy products and Arrowroot starch aren't very good friends in the culinary world. I think about the movie Ghost Busters and the famous line "It slimed Me". Think on that for a moment. Ponder it... The why this happens (the Scientific part We will discuss later). Another con, Arrowroot works best at low temps meaning (for rues etc. this is not a good thickening agent to use unless you know what you are doing and know how to temper). Why take the time though if you don't have to? Use what you have on hand and what works best for you. I happen to like Arrowroot for many reasons (some which I will discuss later) than that of other starches.

Con or pro? Arrowroot starch like other pure starches is pretty much naked/lacking in the form of protein. Also you carb nuts? It's pretty much PURE carbs like that of other pure starches. Beware. (I Myself being only 79 to 80 pounds soaking wet am not concerned with such matters).

I also use Arrowroot starch in replacement of creme of tartar for meringue's at times. More on Meringue's later.

What do YOU do with Arrowroot? I would love to hear about your applications. I can lead you to where it is sold in bulk if you like (that is if you have this store in your region). I suppose you can buy it online as well. I think you can buy about anything online (even love they say). Yeah yeah.

Think I will make that Lemon Meringue pie tomorrow for the hubby as a coming home surprise. He has been working ungodly hours as of late and I feel so sorry for him. His body aches as much as Mine does (of that I am not for certain but it sure does seem so). A pie, just for him...his favorite and perhaps a foot bath complete with a rub down and a buffing of the nails, lotion and the full red carpet treatment. Yes, I think he deserves this. He can eat his pie while I wash his poor tired feet.

Well, until We meet again via virtual ink in this virtual world? Keep laughing, cooking, loving, and above all else? LIVING!

As always, your in food,
The Gothic Gourmet.

7 comments:

  1. Have never heard of Arrowroot starch before, something I will have to look into and try. Thanks for tip about over heating too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just purchased some Arrow root starch before doing a search on the ingredient and finding your article. Good thing I didn't boff it up by overheating it! Thank you for the information and I will leave you with this tiny piece of tin foil <>. Shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Medifast:

    No problemo. I feel that you will find that the Arrow root starch is a fine fine ingredient lacking in many foodies pantries. (Shame shame shame). Let Me know what you came up with and share the wealth.

    To Anonymous, thank you for the shiny piece of tin foil. It kept Me occupied for HOURS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used arrowroot in a pie topping for fresh berry pie, and it turned into ooze/slime/goop. I'm not sure what I did wrong....help me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat arrowroot flour, the chunky kind. Bot San Day puts it out and I eat it from the bag as a snack. It resembles little pebbles and I enjoy the bland flavor that it has...pica?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you list where you buy arrowroot powder? And how do I know if it's made of tapioca or real arrowroot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arrow root is good for upset stomachs, and diarrhea. Drink like a tea... if you need, you can add a bit of sugar to make it taste better, but it calms the above. I went to buy some today and Publix, they didn't have, called a couple other stores, Vitamin World, GNC they didn't have either...

    ReplyDelete

The Gothic Gourmet wants to hear from YOU. Please leave Me a message, a recipe, or a shiny piece of tin foil or something to keep Me occupied.