Welcome to My virtual kitchen.

What you are cooking today? Step into My kitchen, swap a recipe or two with Me and most importantly, have fun!

You can help The Gothic Gourmet cook another day. All donations are greatly appreciated and used for their implied/intended purpose. Cooking! :-)













Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Big Bubba Letdown Of 2010





Hello dear reader/s/ or nobody at all.

I just have to tell you about My huge letdown from last evening. OK, a little background:

Recently as you know, My oven has went on the fritz. Now, I normally 'bake' My burgers but on occasion I will also put them in a skillet on the range as well, or I will lug out the indoor grill and grill burgers. To make cleanup easy and quick, I usually bake them though.

I suppose this piece of information is inconsequential as My Father microwaves most every type of food he comes in contact with unless it is a fruit or a can of meat such as tuna etc.

He likes these frozen burgers which are microwaveable which he makes a huge mess in the microwave with called 'Bubba Burgers'.

These are meat patties shaped in an odd sort of way. I suppose I would liken the shape to a flower such as the Daisy. I also read on Bubba Burgers official website that they have 'Texas' shaped Bubba burgers as well. Yee haw!

As it were, My Father likes the Bubba Burgers that are 'sweet onion' infused. They do smell good when one is extremely hungry but other times they smell like a horrible food experiment gone wrong. This week however dear reader, they have been smelling good enough to make Me hungry enough to want to go out to a restaurant or grill (be it a dive or a fast food joint) that sells a really nice meaty beef burger the greasier the better. Throw that hunk of meat (medium) on a bun and pile it with lettuce, mayo, mustard, tomato, pickle and cheese? That's good eats. Add a huge pile of hot enough to burn the roof of your mouth fries? That's best eats.

I was on the internet most of the day looking for places to go out to that I could get a nice meaty juicy burger from. I finally talked with My husband and asked him about a joint that is close to our local called 'The Shanty grill'. He said that he was pretty sure they would have a nice burger there as it was advertised as a grill.

Now, since I usually don't feel well enough to go out, doing so is a big event/ordeal for Me. I actually have to put on some clothes that match and grab a pair of clean socks out of the dresser drawer. I slick back My hair, make sure My fingernails are kempt and cleaned and then go put on My heavy long black embroidered BB coat. THEN I lug Myself outside into the cold and into a car older than I am. Suffice it to say, I was ready for a treat, I was ready for meat, I was ready for....

NOT FOR WHAT FOLLOWED!

First off, the place is a dive which doesn't bother Me TOO much as long as the food is good. The menu was limited BUT they did have 1/2 price appetizers on Wednesday nights which was nice on the pocketbook. The appetizers were actually quite good. I had a big plate of cheese fries with bacon and a plate of pepper jack cheese balls (fried in a batter) with Ranch dressing. We both shared those. The hubby ordered a Reuben on marbled Rye and I a big burger of course! I waited in anticipation for My meaty meal to hit our table. I waited for the juicy goodness (or not so goodness depending on how you are looking at it) to drip all over My hands and maybe onto the table and My lap below.

Here it came! The food had 'arrived'. The hubby's plate looked wonderful complete with chips and a pickle spear. My plate looked nice as well...but that is only because My meal was hidden underneath a huge stale Kaiser roll. I lifted the bun to put on My condiments and to My utter shock, waiting below for Me to dress was... (drum roll please).....

You guessed it. A BUBBA BURGER! I looked at it's familiar flower shape with a face that must have exuded complete failure, letdown and disappointment. I thought I may weep. Of course, I did not weep, but I also did not eat the burger. I set the plate to the side and slumped down in My booth so far that I thought I might just slide onto the floor in a big oozy like pile of human gunk.

Luckily We still had appetizers left which is what I sustained Myself on. If you want a burger (a REAL homemade grill burger) do NOT go to the Shanty grill on South Meridian Street. You won't get one there. You could however, go a few feet away in the same plaza and buy yourself a pound of ground chuck/beef/Angus/ whatever your taste at the Omalia's grocery store and a bag of buns and make your own burger (which is what I was trying to avoid) and have better luck at a nice meal.

Sigh. Better luck next time right? I'll let you know. There is now a Bubba burger up in the fridge in a to go box that has been undefiled. Maybe I'll try and eat it? Maybe I'll let My Father eat it? Sigh.

Anyone want to take Me out for a nice juicy REAL burger? I am accepting offers...

Until then, as always,
Eve.

2 comments:

  1. Well dear readers, I actually did end up eating the Bubba Burger. It wasn't necessarily 'bad' but it wasn't really 'good' either.

    After talking about this whole ordeal I just had to have a piece of meat even if it was Daisy shaped and delivered to Me via a Bubba Burger.

    This weekend I think I'll have steak with a nice potato and salad.

    Until then, I am still in search of the ever illusive great greasy meaty burger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly your blog is no longer active, but I thought I might let your vacant domain know that the shape of the Bubba Burger was tentatively trademarked this week. Yes, it is now illegal to take a bunch of meat and mold it into that shape that you were so disappointed to see that night! Unless you're working at Bubba Foods of course. You know, Bubba Foods proudly state that their Bubba Burger is made with 100% muscle USDA Choice chuck, which means no crappy bits or trimmings end up in your mouth. That carries a a much lower risk of getting sick from eating E. coli (especially if you like eating burgers rare, which I certainly don't recommend anyone does). You know, I might just buy myself a Bubba Burger some time and fry it up on the stove (I suspect any meat would smell revolting cooking in a microwave).

    ReplyDelete

The Gothic Gourmet wants to hear from YOU. Please leave Me a message, a recipe, or a shiny piece of tin foil or something to keep Me occupied.